Castles, near to Cricket st Thomas all are within driving distance, some of which are listed below.
Sherborne Old Castle, Sherborne, Dorset, Ruined 12th-century castle in the grounds of Tudor mansion. During the English Civil War Sherborne was a Royalist stronghold, and following an eleven day siege in 1645, the old castle was left in ruins by Parliamentary forces under the command of General Fairfax. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Built on a rocky promontory on the Isle of Portland, it is possible that the first castle on this site was built for William II. In 1142 during the civil war known as The Anarchy, Robert Earl of Gloucester captured the castle from King Stephen on behalf of Empress Maud. Rebuilt in the 15th century, much of what remains today dates from this time. Free and open access at any reasonable time.
Built by Henry VIII as part of a chain of defences to protect England's coast from foreign invasion. , built of white Portland stone was completed in 1539 to guard Portland and Weymouth Harbour. . Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Intact medieval castle. Set on the banks of the River Exe, Badly damaged during the Civil War, the castle was altered extensively during the 18th and 19th centuries, transforming it into a more comfortable family residence.
An intact coastal fort Guarding the narrow entrance to the Dart Estuary and the strategic port of Dartmouth, started in 1388 by John Hawley, the enterprising Mayor of Dartmouth. Almost a century later the imposing Gun-tower was added, making it the first English coastal fortress specifically built to mount the heavy artillery required to sink shipping. The castle battery remained in military use throughout World War I & II.
Remains of the largest medieval castle in Devon. Built shortly after the Norman conquest of England, this early motte and bailey type. Used as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners the de Courtenays became the Earls of Devon and redeveloped the castle as a luxurious hunting lodge. During Henry VII reign it was abandoned and gradually fell into ruin.
Perched high above Corfe village, the remains of this early Norman castle cannot fail to impress. In 1635, the castle was sold to Sir John Bankes, who owned it during the English Civil War. His wife, Lady Mary Bankes, led the defence of the castle when it was twice besieged by Parliamentarian troops. The first siege was unsuccessful, but in 1645 the castle finally succumbed and was demolished later that year by order of Parliament. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.